Throughout history there have has been documented and verbal reports of sightings of Unidentified Flying Objects (UFOs) or otherwise known as Flying Saucers and Unidentified Anomalous (Aerial) Phenomenon (UAPs). In some cases these objects have been photographed and recorded on video and infrared cameras. Witnesses have reported observing landed UFOs with occupants (referred to as extra-terrestrials, humanoids and aliens) and being taken onto the craft, including abductions.
This phenomenon is associated, particularly in popular culture, with the existence of extra-terrestrial life. A wide range a conspiracy theories, including governments cover-ups have been claimed regarding UFOs and associated phenomenon.
What appears to resemble UFOs and unusual humanoids is depicted in prehistoric rock art, paintings and artefacts. It is logical to assume that this phenomenon may have been occurring, at the least, through human pre-history. A famous UFO sighting occurred on 24 June 1947, when private pilot Kenneth Arnold claimed that he saw a string of nine, shiny UFOs flying past Mount Rainier (USA). This sighting is credited as being the first of the modern era of UFO sightings. Australian UFO researcher Keith Basterfield has compiled a Catalogue of Pre 24 June 1947 Australian UAP witness reports to emphasise the existence of published pre 1947 UFO/UAP reports. There are many credible people, who without any prior interest in UFOs, reported incredible UFO related sightings.
The cases that have the most interest are the ones where characteristics indicative of an elsewhere origin, in other words, not from this Earth. This origin may be within our universe, another universe, another dimension, another time or more likely, something completely different. We cannot discount the possibility that Earth is under the covert surveillance of UFOs.
Confirmed unidentified sightings are relatively rare, Dr James E McDonald (1920 – 1971) concluded  that about 0.5 to 2 percent of raw UFO reports could not be identified as being caused by conventional objects and phenomena. The remaining reports were identified to have prosaic origins, for example, misidentified natural phenomena.
Peculiar attributes of some reported UFOs are:
- exhibit flight characteristics indicative of being under sentient control
- able to hover and land, fly close to ground, accelerate and change direction at high speed while being able to avoid obstacles’ such as buildings, surface topography and trees
- capable of entering, travelling through and leaving water at high speed. This type of UFO is termed unidentified submerged object (USO).
- silent or emit a low frequency humming or hissing noise
- causing interference in electromagnetic spectrum, for example, television and radio reception, including causing motor vehicle engines to malfunction and stop. There are numerous reports of UFOs causing vehicle malfunction, on this, and other websites.
- varied sizes, designs and what appears to be surface structural damage. Some reported with windows/portholes, and in some cases the appearance of humanoids inside the UFO.
- emit infrared radiation above ambient level and therefore able to be detected using thermal vision
- appear to change in shape and may divide into multiple objects
- emit light beams
- disappear and reappear in an instant
A recent report published by the Scientific Coalition for Ufology (SCU) on the 25 April 2013 Aguadilla, Puerto Rico UAP sighting confirmed that UFOs may be able move into and out of seawater without any significant interactions, such as causing a splash and slowing from the hydrodynamic interactions with the water.
UFOs may be piloted by sentient beings (extra-terrestrials), the smaller craft may be drones or ‘machines’ without ‘pilots’. The surface appearance of some UFOs (saucers) have been reported to be indicative of having been damaged, refer report dated 24 April 1966 at Puckapunyal Army base, Australia, in addition to exhibiting an ‘aged and heat effected’ surface. The possibility is that this damage through collisions with dust and other materials may have accumulated during extended periods of interstellar flight.
Our conclusions and thoughts in understanding what is really going on may be limited by our natural (anthropomorphic) viewpoint when considering the obviously highly advanced technologies and sentience involved.
We are excited to be informed that in 2015 a group of dedicated scientists and professionals have proposed an innovative approach to the scientific study of UFOs. The goal is to build a network of automated observation stations with a variety of scientific instruments to capture comprehensive, scientifically valid data on the UFO phenomenon. This group formed the organization UFO Detection and Tracking (UFODATA) that is headed by Mark Rodeghier, Scientific Director of the Center for UFO Studies (USA) and Alexander Wendt, a political scientist at Ohio State University (USA).
- Druffel, A. (2006). Firestorm: Dr James E. McDonald’s Fight for UFO Science. 2nd ed. Columbus, USA: Granite Publishing, p.13.